Wellness Detective Comments:
My life changed dramatically in Fall 2013. Out of the blue, I had my first brain seizure and the very next day, I met with a brain surgeon and on October 16th, 2013, I underwent a right craniectomy (removal of the portion of the skull), duraplasty (repair of the covering of the brain) and cranioplasty (articifical repair of the skull). It was one of the most challenging surgeries I have ever had. I left surgery with a big turban bandage around my head and had to use a walker to start walking post surgery. The left side of my leg was weak, as they operated on the right side of my brain.
During my hospital stay I just had 3 friends visit me and one friend helped me practice walking. In 2 days, it will make it 6 months since I had surgery and I have come along way. Right now, it’s new beginnings for me for:
- back strength
- food preparation and cooking
- friendships & relationships
- bathing myself (without the help of a personal support worker).
I embrace this new phase of my life fully. I pray and ask that you pray for me as well and send me your good wishes.Til next time, please share your new beginnings with me!
Wellness Detective Comments: I had visited a hypnotherapist in December 2012 and I learned some techniques for healing. Based on what I learned, I have adapted it and created my own healing exercise called:
“BALLS OF LIGHT”
- TAKE THREE DEEP BREATHES
- CLOSE YOUR EYES
- VISUALIZE BALLS OF LIGHT SURROUNDING YOUR ENTIRE BODY AND ENTERING ALL THE CELLS IN YOUR BODY
- EXPRESS GRATITUDE FOR THE COMPLETE HEALING OF THE CELLS IN YOUR BODY AND SAY THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
- DO THIS EXERCISE AS LONG AS YOU FEEL IT’S NEEDED IN YOUR LIFE JOURNEY
Wellness Detective Comments: I have been eating Kale for several years now since I started my raw food lifestyle. I usually put Kale into my morning green smoothies. My recipe is:
- 3 leaves of kale
- 1.5 cups of almond milk
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric powder
- 1/2 teampsoon of chia seeds
This green smoothie gives me energy in the mornings and is part f my daily routine. There are 25 Benefits of Eating Kale this summarized in this article:
1) Low Calorie: With obesity higher than ever, it is increasingly important to eat nutritious foods that are low in calories, and kale is among one of the lowest. At only 33 calories per serving (1 cup) you could eat as much kale as you ever wanted and wouldn’t gain a single ounce!
2) Kale has vitamin K: Vitamin K is important for a huge variety of health issues. It is a natural blood thickener, helps you build strong bones and is great for your heart health. There are also increasing studies that vitamin K helps to fight several types of cancer.
3) Kale has manganese: Manganese is important for several health reasons. It helps your body build strong bones and it also has benefits for your skin, because it is part of an enzyme known as manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), which is important in the fight against UV damage from the sun.
4) Kale has copper: We don’t hear about copper very much, but it plays a large role in our health, filling your cells with energy and helping to build strong tissue and maintain your blood volume.
5) Kale has vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 plays a very important part of our overall health. This important vitamin is used to treat allergies, asthma, high cholesterol, migraines and a wide range of other illnesses.
6) Kale has fiber: We hear a lot about getting our daily fiber, but why is it so helpful to our body? Fiber controls blood sugar, promotes good heart health, helps prevent stroke, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), skin health, weight loss, hemorrhoids and even has been shown to reduce the risk of kidney stones.
7) Kale has calcium: We all know how important getting enough calcium is to our bone strength and health, but what else does this element do for us? Calcium also helps promote the burning of fat in our body, instead of the storage of it. It is also good for your heart, treating PMS and has been shown to fight cancer.
8) Kale has potassium: Potassium is one of the most important elements in the human body, providing all kinds of benefits and fighting all sorts of disorders. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure, reduces anxiety and stress, regulates fluid levels in the body and even is beneficial to brain functions such as memory and learning.
9) Kale has vitamin E: It is estimated that 90% of Americans are not getting enough vitamin E in our diets. Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant that has been shown to help repair cell damage and is great for skin health.
10) Kale has vitamin B2: Did you know vitamin B2 helps process carbohydrates? This important vitamin also can be used to prevent migraine headaches, treat anemia, make the skin clearer, tissue repair and even regulates your thyroid.
11) Kale has iron: You already know how important iron is for fighting anemia, but what about some other great health benefits of iron? Iron also helps in the formation of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen through your body. It also helps in brain function by delivering more oxygen to the brain, and also plays a vital role in our muscle function. And as a bonus, kale has more iron than beef per calorie!
12) Kale has magnesium: An estimated 80% of Americans are not getting enough magnesium in their diet. Magnesium provides a wide array of health benefits, including formation of teeth and bones, blood sugar regulation, treatment of diabetes, PMS and migraines.
13) Kale has vitamin B1: Thiamine, or vitamin B1 is a very important vitamin for the human body. It helps to convert sugar into energy and helps produce acetyl-choline which helps deliver messages to muscles and nerves, which make sure that your heartbeat is regular and healthy!
14) Kale has Omega-3 fats: Omega-3 fatty acids have a huge range of health benefits. Omega 3 fats have been shown to reduce bipolar disorder symptoms, treat rheumatoid arthritis, increase cardiovascular health and a reduction in sudden death for patients who have experienced a heart attack. The health benefits of omega 3 fats are almost endless, and have even been shown to treat depression.
15) Kale has protein: You already know how important protein is, but may not be aware that many plant foods are rich with this vital building block of our lives. Protein is responsible for our development, blood replenishment, dead cell replacement and of course providing our body with energy to get through the day.
16) Kale has Folate (Folic Acid): Folic Acid (Vitamin B12) is vital for cell health in our body and a wide range of other health benefits as well. Folic Acid helps in the development of red blood cells, fetal development, treatment of depression and even heart disease.
17) Kale has vitamin B3: Vitamin B3 or Niacin is a vitamin that has been shown to reduce the risk for heart disease. It lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises good cholesterol (HDL) too. If that’s not enough, vitamin B3 also helps reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s, cataracts, osteoarthritis and diabetes.
18) Kale lowers cholesterol: Due to the wide variety of helpful vitamins in kale, eating a diet that includes the green, leafy vegetable can help you reduce your cholesterol and contributes to better heart health.
19) Kale helps fight cancer: Kale is high in organosulfur compounds, which have been shown to fight some of the deadliest forms of cancer, including colon cancer, prostate cancer, bladder cancer and breast cancer.
20) Kale is an anti-inflammatory: While diets high in animal proteins cause inflammation which leads to heart disease, arthritis and a number of autoimmune diseases, the natural anti-inflammatory in kale helps to prevent and even reverse these effects.
21) Kale is sustainable: The typical cow takes 18 – 24 months to grow to maturity (with the help of growth hormones) but kale reaches full maturity in around 60 days. Kale can easily be grown on most any farm and has a very low impact on the environment.
22) Kale is delicious: Maybe this should have been the first item on the list, but better late than never. Kale comes in a wide variety of colors and textures to suit every taste bud. The sheer amount of recipes including kale are staggering, so no matter what your personal tastes are, you will have no problem finding a way to eat kale that you enjoy.
23) Kale helps you lose weight: If you eat foods such as kale as a regular part of a healthy, plant-based diet you can see a lot of weight loss benefits. With so many Americans, and others around the world becoming more obese, finding delicious foods like kale that promote a healthy body and a healthy weight are more important than ever!
24) 50 Varieties: There are over 50 varieties of kale that you can buy and eat. Different types of kale have different tastes, so every taste bud is covered for sure. Depending on how you are going to serve and eat your kale, you will want to try as many varieties as you can find to make sure you have the most delicious one.
25) Kale has lutein and zeaxanthin: Don’t worry if you can’t pronounce these. These two carotenoids help protect your eyes from harmful UV rays from the sun and keep your eyesight healthy and clear.
The truth is, this list could be much longer. Kale has so many health benefits and helps our body fight so many ailments that it should be a part of any diet, whether you eat a plant based diet or especially if you are eating a more animal protein based or high fat diet. Whether you steam it, add it to a salad or make home made kale chips to snack on, you can use kale to obtain a healthier body without sacrificing taste!
When I made the switch from a mostly meat diet to a plant-based diet, it really helped me to be educated about the food I was eating, instead of simply being told that something was good for me. I hope you know enough about kale now to give it a try and see why so many people are talking about this healthy food.
Wellness Detective Comments: Organic food such as organic fruits and vegetables are produced using organic farming methods with limited synthetic inputs and chemical fertlizers. Organic food is not produced using irradiation or chemical food additives. It is now a regulated industry. I purchase organic fruits and vegetables from Front Door Organics biweekly and have it delivered to my home. There are many benefits of eating organic fruits and vegetables and which will be summarized here:
- more nutrient dense-organic food is loaded with more anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals
- has better taste-try an organic banana to a conventional one and you will see the difference
- is not irradiated
- helps in the prevention of certain diseases
- has life energy force and energizes the body when consumed
Keep in mind with labelling, organic food labels, starts with a 9 and has 5 digits. Going organic is the beginning of living a healthy lifestyle. START TODAY!!!
Wellness Detective Comments: I have been having a lot of garlic lately as I have been experiencing a bit of indigestion in recent weeks. Garlic has been grated raw and put on my bread with a little butter. I have found this to be very soothing to my stomach and it has balanced my system out. As the article mentions below, garlic helps with digestion and this has been definitelly true for me.
This has to be my battle cry when it comes to all things disease. Anyone who spends any time with me will hear me say again and again and again: “Are you taking garlic?” “Try garlic, it’s a wonderful antibiotic.” “Garlic should be able to nip that cold in the bud.”
Sorry friends, family, loved ones. But garlic is my go-to food when my health starts going south. And my passion rubs off on anyone around me with even the slightest hint of the need for my help.
I use garlic for absolutely everything I can think of. I tend to forget a lot of the natural remedies that I have discovered along the way, but not garlic.
It’s easy, available and EFFECTIVE!
“The role of Garlic Minced as an antiviral and anti-bacterial agent is unsurpassed. There are no… repeat, NO… modern antibiotic drugs in the entire arsenal of medical science that even come close to doing what Garlic can do.” ~John Heinerman, Heinerman’s Encyclopedia of Healing Herbs & Spices
Take your garlic fresh if you can. And raw is best. It’s most potent this way. If you cook your garlic (and I do), it doesn’t have the same effect for medicinal purposes. (But it does taste yummy.)
Other effective forms are powdered garlic, garlic oil, or in tablet form. The processing method is crucial to preserve garlic’s potency. Therefore, I only use Kyolic Garlic Capsules when I need a quick boost and don’t have fresh garlic on hand. These capsules have the added benefit of low to no garlic odor.
But remember: fresh raw garlic is best
Garlic is one of the amazing superfoods who’s benefits are amazing and numerous. I’ll list some here, but don’t take my word for it. Do some research of your own and you will be amazed at how many applications there are for this humble little bulb.
It has antibiotic properties “as powerful as penicillin without the side effects” (from The ABC Herbal)
Inhibits candida albicans growth (yeast)
Supports the cardiovascular system
Lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Lowers blood pressure
Relieves shortness of breath
Remedy for infectious diseases
Destroys harmful intestinal bacteria without affecting the beneficial organisms
Kills and expels parasites
Heals acne, skin spots and boils
clears minor skin infections
Lice, skin parasites
Remedy for whooping cough
Sinus, respiratory problems
Improves cognitive functioning
Detoxifies all the body systems
Protects against infection
Builds endurance and energy
It increases blood flow to the brain
Stimulates the flow of blood and lymph
I’m going to lift the cover to my medicinal tool chest and show you how we use garlic to stay healthy in my house. Super easy. Super effective.
Garlic Oil: Crush a fresh clove in a tablespoon of warm oil. Let sit 5 minutes. Strain. Use two drops per ear, three times daily.
Garlic Press: Crush a fresh clove inside a folded paper towel. Pour hot water over it and wring out. Apply to chest for 90 seconds.
Garlic in Honey: Mince half a clove, coat with honey in a teaspoon. Take orally twice daily.
Garlic Press: Crush a fresh clove inside a folded paper towel. Pour hot water over it and wring out. Apply to the soles of feet
Garlic Press: Crush a fresh clove inside a folded paper towel. Pour hot water over it and wring out. Apply to neck and feet.
Garlic Water Gargle: Pour hot water over crushed garlic, strain, and gargle.
Garlic Press: Place a tablespoon of minced garlic in paper towel. Pour hot water over it. Steep for 30 seconds. Apply to infected area for two minutes.
Prevention is the best cure. Get on it early and you won’t get sick. At the first sign of illness immediately administer a dose of garlic and honey. Continue for a minimum of two days.
Now, about that cold.
You should take some garlic… it’s a wonderful antibiotic (smile).
Jen Jones is passionate about healthy weight loss and living life to the fullest. Register for a personalized wellness consultation, or sign up for more great advice here, where extreme wellness is sexy!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jen_L._Jones_
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7465413
Wellness Detective Comments: Here is a guest blog post from Hypnotherapist, Fabiola Miguel
At the beginning of the year we all make our resolutions and one of the most popular ones is losing weight. We all want to look and feel our best after all and start the year in a good way. I want to give people some practical advice because I truly eat anything I want but I have managed to stay the same size for over 10 years and it hasn’t been difficult at all. The key lies in changing your thinking and adopting a few healthy habits so you can enjoy eating and never feel deprived again!
1. – Drink at least 3 litters of water a day. I know you don’t want to go the bathroom 10 times a day but this really pays off. Your metabolism will speed up and you will eliminate toxins faster.
2. – Learn to love fruits and veggies. Read interesting nutrition books, become a vegan 3 times a week or more, have fun making beautiful salads (if it looks pretty you will feel more motivated to eat it). And if possible, get a hypnotist who can help you learn to enjoy eating healthy with Hypnosis and NLP. Aim for a large salad everyday and it will become a habit over time.
3. – Imagine yourself exactly how you want to look and feel: slimmer, healthier, more energized, more confident, happier, more proud of yourself, being more active, etc. If others can do it, why not you?
4. – Eat what you want in moderation and eat it slowly so you can enjoy it more! People have no idea what a difference it makes to eat slowly, you end up eating less and you feel more satisfied. And if you had a pizza for lunch then have a salad for dinner. Simple, right?
5. – Commit to being active by doing something you can really enjoy. For me yoga does the trick. If I don’t do yoga for a few days my body feels off and my muscles feel a little stiff, I don’t like the feeling so I always do whatever I can do stay active. Over time, your body will ask you for it.
6. – Finally, get a hold of your emotions. Stop eating because you feel sad, stressed, angry, etc. Learn to do self-hypnosis to feel better and cope with your feelings and emotions in better ways.
Certified Master Hypnotist, Master NLP practitioner and Life Coach
Wellness Detective Comments: Mango juice is one of my favorite juices ever. I love the sweet taste and the pulpy texture. My very early memories of mangoes was when I would go to Trinidad and have mangoes on my grandfather’s land. Nowadays, I have mango juice purchased from the store.
There are many benefits to consuming mango juice and here are some:
It is considered to prevent cancer as it’s loaded with antioxidants and has pectin which is significant in cancer prevention and reduction as well. Those with high cholesterol levels have their bodies nourished by mango juice due to the Vitamin C which lowers the cholesterol levels.
Those who have blood pressure issues benefit from the potassisum in mango juice as it regulates muscles, heart, nerves and blood pressure. If you suffer from anameia, the iron in the juice supplies the body with a sufficient amount.
Wellness Detective Comments: I first learned about the benefits of magesium oil from a breast cancer survivor who was using it post surgery as part of her health regime. So I decided to look into it, and started applying magesium oil to my own body. My reason for using this oil was for pain reduction and to strengthen the bones in my body. Here are some benefits of using magnesium oil:
- helps with pain management, fatigue and muscle cramps.
- regular use of this oil has been found to reduce the occurrence of low blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, migraine, fatigue, insomnia, and minimizing the symptoms of asthmatic attacks.
- consistent consumption of magnesium increases the absorption of calcium in the body thereby improving the strength of the bones and any risks associated with bone weakness. Calcium in the body helps with bone and teeth formation.
- when applied to the scalp it improves hair growth by clearing calcium deposits off the scalp that may be blocking hair follicles.
I would highly recommend looking into purchasing magesium oil to assist with your health issues.
Wellness Detective Comments: New Year’s Eve is one of my favorite times of the year. It’s a time to reflect give thanks for all the blessings for the past year and to set intentions of how you would like the upcoming year to be. For many years when I was in my teens, we would often spend New Year’s Eve in a spiritual gathering with my mother.
I could count the times on one hand, that I actually spent time out a party or a party at someone’s home. I would often sulk as a child when we weren’t allowed to go to a party that we were invited to. I would be so sad about it. Luckily those experiences reminded me to make my new year’s eve spiritual.
Here are some tips on how you can “SPEND A SPIRITUAL NEW YEAR’S EVE”:1. Host a spiritual gathering at home or in a peaceful setting such as a yoga studio by inviting a few friends or community members.
2. Set up the gathering in a circle and have everyone share some inspirational saying or quote.
3. Express gratitude by passing a gratitude rock around the circle and have those in attendance express what they are grateful for.
4. Have everyone in attendance set their intention for the upcoming year and share it with the group.
5. Close the evening off by having a potluck party of food to share and partake in abundance. Ensure that everyone brings a dish to share with the everyone at the gathering.
6. Say goodbye after midnight by giving the best HUGS ever!! Love in action heals all!!
Whatever you choose to do, have a great New Year’s Eve and I wish you all the blessings for 2014!!!! May 2014 be your best year ever!!
Wellness Detective Comments: I first learned about apple cider vinegar from my friend years ago when she was taking it as part of her weight loss program. When I started the raw food lifestyle about 5 years ago, I was informed about the benefit of apple cider vinegar and how it helps the body become alkaline. Taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar a few times a week has become part of my nutritional regime. When I was experiencing heartburn last week, I decided to take a dose of apple cider vinegar and it helped me. Here is an article that highlights using apple cider vinegar daily:
Apple cider vinegar is my new obsession. I recently began taking apple cider vinegar shots a few times a day for a quick and effective energy burst. However, I’ve since discovered so many other useful ways to incorporate apple cider vinegar (ACV) into my daily routine.
It’s effective for pretty much anything—your skin, your hair, your house, and even your pets can benefit from its qualities. Raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized, apple cider vinegar is so much more than a salad dressing!
1. Apple cider vinegar can detoxify your home.
It’s made from apple juice and is fermented to hard apple cider. It’s then fermented a second time to become apple cider vinegar. By using ACV in lieu of other products, we instantly decrease the consumption of unnatural chemicals in our homes and daily lives.
2. It can make your hair shine.
Apple cider vinegar can be used as a rinse for your hair after shampooing, and will boost your hair’s body and shine. I recommend recycling an old shampoo bottle, then filling it with 1/2 a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a cup of cold water. Pour the solution through your hair after shampooing several times a week for dramatic results.
3. Natural apple cider vinegar regulates the pH of your skin.
Dilute ACV with two parts water, and spread the concoction over your face with a cotton ball to replace your current toner. You can do this at night after washing, and in the morning before you apply your moisturizer. A dab of apple cider vinegar can also be left on the skin overnight to fade age spots or acne scars.
It’s also a recommended agent for warts. For warts, soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar, then fasten the cotton ball over the wart with a Band-Aid overnight. The skin may swell some as it reacts with the solution. However, the wart will fall off. Once it falls off, the treatment should be continued for a few more days, to make sure the wart doesn’t return.
4. It can remove stains from teeth.
Rub teeth directly with apple cider vinegar, and rinse with water.
5. It can soothe sunburnt skin.
Add a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath, and soak for 10 minutes to eliminate discomfort from sunburn.
6. Apple cider vinegar can be used as a natural aftershave.
Fill a bottle with equal parts apple cider vinegar and water, and shake before applying to the face.
7. It’s an all-natural massage treatment.
Rubbing apple cider vinegar on your hands and feet will give massage-like benefits and relief to tired hands and feet.
8. Apple cider vinegar can aid in weight loss.
For daily weight management, add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to 16 ounces of water. This concoction can be sipped throughout the day. Data shows some limited, yet significant, weight loss benefits from sustained daily intake of acetic acid (which is a main ingredient in apple cider vinegar).
In a 2009 study published in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, it was found that subjects that consumed acetic acid for 12 weeks experienced significant declines in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference and triglycerides. Triglycerides contribute to the bad cholesterol that we want to avoid.
9. Apple cider vinegar will balance your entire inner body system.
The body constantly strives to achieve a state of equilibrium. Apple cider vinegar helps the body maintain a healthy alkaline pH level. Research shows that higher acid levels (lower pH level) leads to a lack of energy and higher incidences of infection. Hence, my desire to sip some a few times a day for a natural boost of energy.
10. It can help you detox.
As part of balancing the body’s pH, apple cider vinegar creates an overall detoxification of the body. Research shows that it can help stimulate cardiovascular circulation and help detoxify the liver.
11. ACV is great for your lymphatic system.
This miracle vinegar helps to break up mucous throughout the body and cleanse the lymph nodes. Believe it or not, research suggests that apple cider vinegar can help with allergies because of its ability to reduce mucous and sinus congestion. When reducing the effects of allergies, it can also help stave off sinus infections and their related symptoms, such as sore throats and headaches.
12. It can help your body get rid of candida.
This vinegar is rich in natural enzymes that can help rid your body of candida—yeasts that are attributed to thrush in humans. Candida also is blamed for creating symptoms of fatigue, poor memory, sugar cravings, and yeast infections.
13. ACV can help you reduce heartburn.
Though it might seem like an oxymoron to treat stomach acid with an acid-containing vinegar, there is research suggesting that apple cider vinegar works by correcting low acid, hence reducing heartburn. Natural remedy experts say you should begin to feel relief very shortly after taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar followed by a glass of water. Note that apple cider vinegar will not give relief if you have an ulcer.
14. The use of apple cider vinegar is effective in repelling fleas on your pets.
One part vinegar and one part water can be sprayed on your pets fur and rubbed in generously to the skin. Saturate the entire coat, and continue every day for a few days to a week. Any flea infestation will surely be gone.
15. It’s an all-natural room freshener.
Apple cider vinegar will clean your toilets and leave your bathroom smelling like apples! Just pour apple cider vinegar into the toilet, and allow it to sit overnight. It can also be used in dishwashers as a substitute for dish detergent. Mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup water, and you can use this solution to clean microwaves, kitchen surfaces, windows, glasses and mirrors, too.